We at Mellon are happy to bring your a new “17 Questions With” interview we recently did with BMX rider, motocross rider and surfer, Zak Early. Find more about Zak, about his fears, his achievements, his lifestyle and much more after the jump.
1. What are you most proud of in your life? Why?
Getting heavy with it quick! I guess the thing I’m most proud of in my life is that I get away and travel a lot, and I’m not scared to let my bank account go to “0.00. Its not necessary the right thing, or even a good thing, but I’m kind of proud that happiness and the pursuit of it, whatever that pursuit may be, is one of the highest priorities I will ever have. I don’t understand why people will limit themselves because of finances or simple hesitations. You just have to go for it. Be selfish, do exactly what makes you happy.
2. How would you describe your lifestyle?
This kind of just continuous the previous answer. My life is spontaneous. The second I think I’m chilling and don’t have anything up for a while, sometimes pops up. I jump on any trip I can get on and I try and make a lot of my own trip too. I try and stay active, outside of BMX I truly love motocross and surfing too, and it hurts my soul if I don’t do both of these things every week too. So… busy, exciting, exhausting, mellow, relaxing, FUN, but completely worth it. I stayed layed back as much as I can and I always try and remind myself to enjoy the small things and moment too. Take extra minute and enjoy the sip of coffee and the sites that are in front of you.
3. What is your greatest fear? Why?
Heights, no idea why, they just tweak me out, I can’t look over the side of balcony’s I almost loose my balance from it.
4. What is the most important thing you learned in school?
I learned that if you show the effort, and you truly do work hard, the people around you will recognize that and will equal the effort your putting in to support and help you.
5. What is your greatest achievement outside BMX?
Finishing college and receiving my bachelors degree in marketing would probably be my greatest achievement I’d say. That was 4 grueling years but it honestly was worth.
6. Tell me one thing about yourself you would not want me to know.
I don’t really have any secrets, I dunno I’m a pretty open book. Sometimes I forget to brush my teeth on trips.
7. What would you do if you won the lottery?
Pay off all my parents and my brothers bills, get them all set and then I would go on one seriously long trip going to every moto track, every amazing cement park and every spot that has firing waves around the world.
8. What is your favorite memory from childhood?
Working on my motorcycles with my dad in the basement, and all of the good times with my family. Family is a really important part of my life.
9. If you were an animal, which one would you want to be? Why?
I’d want to be a rad dog, with a really cool owner. Dogs have a good life and the rad ones seem like all they want to do is have fun.
10. If you could choose one superhero power, what would it be? Why?
Probably the power to fly. I could check out all the empty pools and secret waves.
11. What would you say are your 2 greatest weaknesses?
My shoulders and lower back, both are torched. And in personality, I can be brutally honest sometimes, and I sometimes will call a person out way to aggressively, and won’t realize it was too aggressive until its to late. Sorry folks.
12. How do you fit a giraffe in a fridge?
13. How would you explain Facebook to your grandma?
I’d explain it being like an oldschool phone system, but the operator just leaves every persons phone wired in to every conversation.
14. Would you rather fight an elephant size mouse of 100 mouse-sized elephants?
100 mouse-sized elephants for sure. An elephant sized mouse could still just smoosh you.
15. If you had to live your life over again, what one thing would you change? Why?
Nothing, Honestly. I truly am content with what my life is, and what has happened in it. You never know what one little change could affect.
16. What are three main things you do before going to bed?
Turn on my heated blanket, Brush my teeth, and play a game of solitaire.
17. What did you ate for lunch yesterday?
My grandparents took me out to olive garden, I got the Zuppa Toscana for my appetizer, and the four cheese ravioli with meet sauce. I was pretty stoked on it. The raviolis where a little over cooked though.